Not Really a Blog

December 27, 2012

Kampot

Filed under: Cambodia, Kampot, Places — Tags: , , , — jesus @ 16:52

Depending on how much time you want to spend in Cambodia, there are a few things that are a must. Probably one of their nice beaches, Phnom Penh, the capital, and Siem Reap, where you can see the truly amazing temples of Angkor Wat.

Angkor Wat 51
This is Angkor Wat, if you are interested ;-). A post about it soon.

If you have a month or so you can spend time visiting all of the south and some remote parts in the north, which is not very much explored and, apparently, has many nice places to go.

But I was only planning to spend like 2 weeks and a half in Cambodia and wanted to visit one of its beaches and Siem Reap for sure. But I also wanted to see something else, so I decided to go to Kampot as it was recommended on the Lonely Planet guide.

Kampot 1

And don’t get me wrong, sometimes travel guides are awesome, but I didn’t quite enjoy Kampot that much. Don’t get me wrong, the town is lovely, but the main areas of interest (which are why you visit Kampot) were not that interesting to me.

Kampot 5

Kampot is a small village near the coast and near Bokor Natural Park where you can have a look at Bokor Hill, a mountain around 1000 metres high with a cool climate and a nice view, surrounded by a dense rain forest. The town itself is crossed by a river and has many buildings with French influence. You can tell just by looking at the houses by the riverside.

Kampot 9

Kampot 12

Kampot 13

On top of this hill there’s an old French station/house and church from the 1930s. Apparently they have been decaying for years and had a really mysterious look, but these days they are being refurbished and so there’s not much to see there apart from builders working on scaffoldings.

Kampot 21
The old French church

Kampot 22
The old station

Kampot 19

Now, what has struck me as ludicrous is the construction ongoing in the very natural park of Bokor. As in, the protected natural park of Bokor. The Sokimex group, founded by Oknha Sok Kong, is not only a petrol station company in Cambodia, but they also control the concession for the entrance fee to Angkor Wat. And they are building a tourist complex that includes a 5 star hotel, a casino, and some 400 houses. In the middle of the National Park, the protected National Park!.

Kampot 17
The new Casino

So ridiculous that if you go on a tour to this National Park, you will be taken to a place where there is a model of the park, with all the planned construction for this park. As if that would be a tourist attraction in itself!. Ridiculous. No need to say, if you are in the area, don’t bother taking one of these tours (in my opinion), hire a scooter and drive up yourself to the National Park.

Kampot 25

Kampot 29

Kampot 31

And enjoy walking around Kampot. It’s really small and pleasant to see. With a lot of french influence there are quite a few places where you can have dinner by the river that are nice. That’s worth the visit, or at least it was for me!

Kampot 28

About these ads

23 Comments »

1. Really beautiful photos!! Want to travel there now!! I heard that Cambodia is not as beautiful as it used to be and that tourism has already caused great damage… Looking at your photos I understand that I may have been misinformed!!

Comment by UrbanBilingual — January 8, 2013 @ 13:44

2. I’ve never really thought of Cambodia as being a big tourist spot or somewhere you’d like to go for a visit, but after reading this post I’m really interested in going there now haha. The pictures were great! Some of them sort of looked like places I’ve been to in India…

Comment by frrstbrwn — January 21, 2013 @ 15:28

3. This is one of my future destinations :)
    Love your photos

Comment by Destidation — January 25, 2013 @ 13:18

4. http://backpackerschat.wordpress.com/ Am heading there soon, even more excited (check my blog)

Comment by bpsg94 — January 29, 2013 @ 13:40

5. I wonder if that station is the building they filmed in “City of Ghosts” with James Caan and Matt Dillon? From the film locations on IMDB it looks to be. If so, looks like Marvin’s idea of building a casino there is coming to fruition.

Comment by hoz49 — February 2, 2013 @ 01:47

6. I love Cambodia. The Angor Wat is amazing! I dont like the City Siam Reap you have to stay to visit Angor Wat. I still think you can find places like this in Thailand also. I have traveled through Thailand Laos and Cambodia. Check out my blog Amazing Thailand. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have http://sakukalliomaki.wordpress.com/

Comment by sakukalliomaki — February 3, 2013 @ 15:46

7. Cambodia is beautiful and full of local flair.. too bad it’s becoming more like Thailand every day.

Comment by johanneslaaksonen — February 3, 2013 @ 16:08

8. Reblogged this on Historic Places in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.

Comment by Port Elizabeth Accommodation — February 6, 2013 @ 10:32

9. What fantastic camera work. It makes me jealous just to see the pictures.

Comment by Marcus — February 8, 2013 @ 06:22

10. Reblogged this on mannixdee.

Comment by mannixdee — February 10, 2013 @ 17:58

11. Feeling inspired to write about my visit to Cambodia!

Comment by Lizzy — February 11, 2013 @ 19:57

12. Amazing photos! Thank you sharing them with us!

Comment by Ilona's Heels — February 17, 2013 @ 13:22

13. Really nice article and photos!!.I’ve visited Cambodia 16 years ago, and got huge impact from there and them!! Now when I saw your photos, felt nostalgic, and wanna go there again!! Anyway thank you for your nice great job!!!

Comment by japanesetearoom — March 1, 2013 @ 07:48

14. Très belles photos! Une future destination pour moi, surement…

Comment by CathyM — March 11, 2013 @ 22:54

15. Hi, I am a budding blogger who would like to get her website out there. I am doing a short story blog that I think that people would be interested in. If you don’t mind taking a look at my blog: http://globalwrit3rs.wordpress.com/
    And telling your friends, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Comment by zitabeachgirl640 — March 27, 2013 @ 02:55

16. I lived in Bangkok, Thailand for a while, but didn’t go to Cambodia. Looking at your pictures makes me realize that maybe I should have headed over there…

Comment by Jammie — April 11, 2013 @ 15:58

17. These are such fantastic photos, I can’t wait to check out more! :)

Comment by cgmyr — April 18, 2013 @ 18:46

18. Love the photos – they really show a country in progress, full of change and hope. Where do you stay? Hotels or B&B? Or are there even other possibilites? Although I try sites like http://www.trivago.com , I can’t really decide where to stay.

Comment by markspencer87 — April 30, 2013 @ 14:34

19. Hey, loving the photos, keep ‘em coming!

Comment by Andrew Gold — May 9, 2013 @ 12:39

20. Great photos and descriptions! What’s been your favorite place to visit in Cambodia so far?

Comment by Zachtacular1 — May 27, 2013 @ 17:50

21. Great pics! Cambodia was one of my favourtie places and the curries made inside coconuts are incredible! Are you going to do any more travelling, outside of Asia?

Comment by willc88 — June 10, 2013 @ 16:26

22. stunning pics!! ‘I am travelling there too soon and wonder what I will find in the more rural areas there
    It was planned as a trip for about 2 weeks but after those pics maybe i extend for one or two ;))

Comment by bosseerichsen — June 15, 2013 @ 17:18

23. Wow those are great picture!

Comment by Amanda Schroter — June 19, 2013 @ 02:45